So, barring any serious complications, what can you do about picky eating?
Well, here is where I will list a few tips and ideas in hopes to help you tackle this all to common issue moms face these days.
1. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water! What I mean by this is don't get frustrated and just throw out everything your child likes and only have new foods that you know he/she won't eat. Start with ONE thing you'd like your child to consume and offer a variety of ways to enjoy it. **Extra: Give them 3 choices. Make them visual. Show a picture of Broccoli, Green Beans and Red Pepper. Let them choose one to try. Then talk about all the ways you can eat it and ask them which sounds good to them!
2. Be the change you want to see! If you want your child to eat healthier foods, then you have to set the example. If you are eating Cheetos, while telling them to eat carrots, or bell pepper slices.. well, this won't go over very well and creates a lot of confusion for the child as well. Love yourself enough to eat healthy too!
3. Involve your child in the meal planning and preparation! Kids LOVE to do this and it makes them feel part of something too! They are actively contributing to the family and helping to make some decisions which will empower them later in life when going out on their own and becoming parents themselves.
4. Talk about the importance of good nutrition and why we need to eat healthier. Make it age appropriate and simple for younger children. Watch some healthy cooking shows together to get ideas and listen to what your child says and what excites them when they SEE something prepared.
5. Make it fun! Put snacks in cupcake tins like the picture or in divided plates or other containers. Offer different healthy dipping options like hummus, baba ganoush, ranch, olive oil with spices, nut butters, tzatziki or home made ketchup.
I hope these tips are helpful! I'd love for you to let me know in the comments or share some tips that have worked for you and your picky eater! Blessings!